This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Thomas Nelson Community CollegeLocation: Hampton, VA 23666 Document ID: AD162-512R Posted on: 2019-04-2604/26/2019 Job Type: Regular
Minimum Education: Not Specified2019-05-26
Dean, Communications/Humanities/Social Sciences
Dean of Communications, Humanities and Social Sciences
Hiring Range: Minimum starting salary $67,932 – commensurate with qualifications and experience
Job Type: Full-Time (Salaried)
The Dean provides strategic leadership and operational oversight for the college's Division, with responsibility for degree credit programs, as well as a Career Studies Certificate programs. As part of an academic management team pursuing excellence through collaboration and creation of a learner-centered environment, the position reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Dean implements divisions goals and objectives related to the college's strategic plan; oversees program and course development and evaluations; promotes and maintains relationships with community agencies, organizations and businesses that support the division; recommends the hiring of full-time and adjunct faculty and division staff; evaluates full-time and adjunct faculty and divisions staff; implements college policies and procedures appropriate to division operations; manages operations of relevant grants and contracts; manages the divisions budget and expenditures; and ensures compliance with state mandated performance measures, regional accreditation requirements, and standards for professional program accreditation.
The Division for Communications, Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) contains a wide variety of academic programs including Associate of Arts degrees, Certificates, and Career Studies Certificates that support direct transfer to 4-year colleges and universities, as well as direct pathways to careers. The academic disciplines include Fine Arts, Visual Arts, Liberal Arts, Photography, Graphic and Media Design.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provides strategic leadership and operational oversight for the Division.
- Provide oversight for curriculum development and innovations, program and course review, and assessment of student learning outcomes for the division.
- Directs, plans, organizes, and provides leadership to the day to day operations and recruit, develop, supervise, support, and evaluate full-time and part-time faculty.
- Develop pathways for timely program completion for programs in the Division and meets the needs of students and community stakeholders both on and off campus.
- A master's degree with 18 graduate semester credit hours from a regionally accredited college or university in a discipline served by the Division.
- Experience in curriculum development, assessment and accreditation, integrated higher education student information systems and development and application of academic policies and procedures.
- Specialized knowledge and experience in:
- Ability to:
- Doctoral degree in education leadership, educational administration or any related field.
- Extensive/progressive experience with one or more of the following: dual enrollment, early college, and college readiness in conjunction with regional high schools; developmental mathematics; honors; student cohorts and learning communities; service learning.
- Familiarity with SACSCOC accreditation standards as well as any applicable specialized accreditation, certification, and licensure requirements.
- Teaching and/or administrative experience at a college or university and experience with college transfer and career & technical programs.
Hours of Duty: Will vary, some evenings and weekend may be required
Special Instructions to Applicants
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applicants must submit an online application for this position by visiting the following website: http://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/146773.
Thomas Nelson does not accept applications by mail, fax or e-mail. Failure to provide a complete application package may decrease the opportunity for interview selection or disqualify the application.
Complete application packages will include:
- Online application: A resume will not substitute for a completed on-line State application. Applicants are encouraged to fully represent their qualifications on the application and must include complete information in all sections.
- Cover letter
- Unofficial copes of college transcripts related to the degree requirement. All transcripts from foreign institutions of higher education must be verified by an evaluation agency.
- Three professional references with title, current email address and telephone number.
- Three letters of recommendation – Preferred, to include a former supervisor, former colleague and a character reference, no relatives. These should be uploaded to the online application system under “Other Documents”.
If you are having difficulty uploading your transcripts or letters of recommendation, please contact the Human Resources Department. The system will only allow you to upload a total file size maximum of 2 MB. Please scan your documents and upload them as a single PDF file.
BACKGROUND CHECK STATEMENT: The selected candidate's offer is contingent upon the successful completion of an extensive background investigation, which may include: criminal history, employment verification, verification of education and professional reference checks.
Thomas Nelson Community College, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, Thomas Nelson is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
|More Jobs from Thomas Nelson Community College|