St. John's UniversityLocation: Jamaica, NY 11439 Document ID: AD334-0B2Y Posted on: 2019-09-2009/20/2019 Job Type: Full-time
Student Athlete Support Services Assistant
St. John's established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University's outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John's University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John's is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Student-Athlete Support Services Assistant
Student Development for Athletes at St. John's University, a Division I program with membership in the Big East Conference, is seeking qualified candidates for a Student- Athlete Support Services Assitant position. The Student Development for Athletes program provides a wide range of services from recruiting student athletes through student athlete graduation. The program focuses on four key areas: Academic Support, Career Development, Leadership and Community Service. Reporting to the Director of Academic Support for Student-Athletes, the Student-Athlete Support Services Assistant will support the implementation of Student Development programing and help coordinate special events for the Student Athlete Center for Excellence. Assist in ensuring that all part-time staff (graduate assistants, student workers, work study students, etc.) operate within the guidelines, policies and procedures of the Student Development for Athletes program to ensure 100% compliance with the NCAA/BIG EAST rules and regulations. The Student-Athlete Support Services Assistant will serve as a resource for the student development team, all coaches, staff and 300 student-athletes.
- Assist in hiring, onboarding, and supervising all part time staff (Approx. 35 GA's, Student workers, Work Study, Tutors, Academic Coaches, and Supplemental Instruction Leaders) to operate within the guidelines to ensure academic integrity and strict adherence to NCAA, Big East, and University policies and procedures.
- Delegate and prioritize tasks to student workers and graduate assistants.
- Effectively manage flow of students to Solly Walker Study Hall, Tutoring appointments, academic meetings and refer to appropriate campus resources as needed.
- Build relationships within Athletics and with other University departments.
- Process all budget-related transactions such as purchases, supplies, check requistions and T&E expense reimbursements and ensure accurate reconciliation.
- Perform data entry and retrieval of information using Banner, teamworks and other software systems to accurately track study hours, tutoring hours and community service hours for all 300 student-athletes.
- Resolve matters by contacting resources, both internal and external to the University.
- Set up, maintain and utilize confidential filing system and department records to assure availability and easy authorized access to all information.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the NCAA and BIG EAST Conference rules and regulations and St. John's University Policies and Procedures related to the Student Development for Athletes program.
- Achieve and maintain a significant understanding the life of a student-athlete and the unique issues associated with schedules, travel, competitions and practice times.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma required; Bachelor's Degree preferred
- 1-3 years experience
- Experience as a student-athlete a plus
- Experience in event planning and management skills
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills; preferred experience serving students
- Must be able to gain and maintain the confidence and cooperation of faculty, administration and students
- Strong time management and organizational skills, initiative and resourcefulness
- Working knowledge of NCAA athletic eligibility regulations, commitment to academic integrity, and compliance with University, conference, and NCAA regulations
- Effective listening and communication skills, both oral and written; preferred experience communicating effectively with faculty, coaches, staff and students from diverse educational and social backgrounds
- Strong ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to work evening and weekend hours
- Exhibit flexibility and perform successfully when challenged by changing workflow priorities
St. John's offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John's performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John's University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John's University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply please click here!
|More Jobs from St. John's University|