St. John's UniversityLocation: Jamaica, NY 11439 Document ID: AC424-0GWY Posted on: 2019-06-2506/25/2019 Job Type: Temporary
Per Diem Public Safety Officer
St. John's established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University's outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John's University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John's is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Per Diem Public Safety Officer
Department: Public Safety
11 pm to 7 am mandatory
Public Safety Per Diem Officers are responsible to maintain the safety and security of all St. John's University campuses and branch properties. Per Diem Officers will conduct security inspections of all buildings, arenas, parking and storage facilities. Public Safety Personnel are responsible to respond to all calls for assistance which include crimes in progress, past crimes, vehicle accidents, injuries, medical and aided cases, fires, smoke, burglar and duress alarms and render aid as required. Public Safety Per Diem Officers are required to operate a patrol vehicle in a safe and proficient manner in areas of high pedestrian traffic. Per Diem Officers must be able to conduct field investigations concerning violations of the law or campus code of conduct violations observed or reported to them. Per Diem Officers will request follow up action where and as needed. All Per Diem Officers are required to engage with the various campus community departments checking on needs or security concerns. All Per Diem Officers work under the direction of a sergeant or higher level supervisor. This job is an entry level position for non-armed and non-sworn Public Safety Per Diem Officers.
- Respond to routine and emergency calls for service, many of which are unique to a campus environment, and take action, as necessary.
- Conduct security inspections of University facilities and areas, reporting conditions that present a hazard to the community.
- Direct pedestrian and vehicle traffic and enforce campus parking regulations.
- Perform general security services, including locking and unlocking buildings, rooms, laboratories and roadway gates.
- Assist students who require escorts in and around the campus property due to injury or accessibility issues.
- Render aid to motorists who are having battery, tire or door lock problems.
- Perform campus access control in security kiosks (booth) by documenting vehicle license plates and issuing parking permits when needed. Pedestrian traffic entering the campus after normal hours may be monitored and required to display a university identification card to Public Safety Per Diem Officers.
- Access and use various computers and other equipment routinely.
- Will be trained to administer CPR or First Aid
- Will be trained to use of an Automatic External Defibrillator.
- Perform related duties, as assigned.
- High School diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- 3-5 years related experience preferred.
- Must be available to work various shifts, on-call, including midnight, weekends and holidays.
- Must possess a current New York State Security Guard License.
- Must have a current valid motor vehicle operator's license.
- Must be able to wear an N-95 respirator mask as mandated by OSHA regulations.
- Must be able to conduct foot patrols, ascend and descend stairs and stand for extended periods of time.
- Must pass a drug screen test.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior customer service skills; willing to take the extra step to assist people in need.
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John's University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John's University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply please click here!
|More Jobs from St. John's University|