St. John's UniversityLocation: Jamaica, NY 11439 Document ID: AD294-0AV8 Posted on: 2019-08-2608/26/2019 Job Type: Full-time
Laboratory Technician - Biology
St. John's established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University's outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John's University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John's is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
The primary function of the Laboratory Technician is to ensure that instructional laboratories are set up and prepared for all scheduled coursework. This includes break down of completed labs and set up of upcoming labs, monitoring stocks of perishable materials and ordering supplies/materials as required, and ensuring additional materials are available as required by laboratory instructors for laboratory quizzes and exams. In addition, the Laboratory Technician will work closely with department faculty and graduate students, fellows and assistants to facilitate delivery of high quality laboratory classes to students and to introduce the latest scientific advances into the curriculum. The Laboratory Technician reports directly to the Director of Laboratory Instruction.
The responsibilities of the Laboratory Technician in this position include (but are not limited to) the following:
- The upkeep, repair and operation of all laboratory teaching instruments.
- Maintain safe environment in the teaching laboratories.
- Facilities maintenance-report to Facilities repair needs and keep track of their completion.
- Arrange for the proper disposal of unused chemicals in the instructional laboratories.
- Maintain and monitor the hazardous waste satellite stations in the instructional laboratories, and ensure proper disposal as required.
- Maintain sufficient stocks of supplies and materials needed for the laboratory courses each semester.
- Maintain service contracts for designated instructional laboratory equipment (microscopes, micropippetors, centrifuges,); manage contracts, service calls and calibration schedules as necessary.
- Assist instructors in delivering laboratory classes.
- Proctor examinations.
- Help test new lecture and laboratory experiments.
- Other duties to fulfill the needs of the department as required by the Department Chair or Director of Laboratory Instruction.
- BS in Biology or Chemistry required, MS preferred.
- 3 years of laboratory and college teaching experience required; 5 preferred.
- Professional social skills.
- Ability to work alone and as a team member.
- Positive and nurturing attitude towards students required.
St. John's offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John's performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John's University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John's University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply please click here!
|More Jobs from St. John's University|