St. John's UniversityLocation: Jamaica, NY 11439 Document ID: AD294-0AV9 Posted on: 2019-08-2608/26/2019 Job Type: Full-time
Department Assistant - Biology
St. John's established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University's outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John's University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John's is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Department Assistant - Biology
The Department Assistant has daily contact with faculty members as well as students and works closely with other offices within the College and University. The Department Assistant is responsible for a number of tasks including, but not limited to, student advisement and registration, academic records maintenance, course schedules, administering exams for graduate students, managing purchase requisitions to Science Supply and Staples, maintenance of Scantron, fax, and departmental printer.
- Assisting students at the front desk with advisement, registration for courses, and other tasks related to student needs.
- Maintaining files of students and faculty members.
- Assisting with preparation of course schedules.
- Assisting with preparation of contracts for adjunct faculty.
- Assisting faculty with printing exams and other classroom material.
- Administering exams for graduate students.
- Assisting graduate students with registration.
- Typing various documents and reports.
- Answering phone, mail, and email.
- Assisting faculty with the administration of make-up exams and process class cancellations.
- Notifying designated individuals of meetings and messages, schedule appointments, and making lunch or travel arrangements.
- Assisting with different projects and reports.
- Assisting with arrangements for seminar speakers and other departmental guests.
- Maintaining supplies, forms, records, available.
- Completing special projects as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalency required.
- 3 years of office related experience preferred.
- The ability to use computer technology effectively.
- Strong inter-personal skills,.
- Ability to work alone and as a team member, and
- Positive and nurturing attitude towards students are required.
St. John's offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John's performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John's University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John's University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply please click here!
|More Jobs from St. John's University|