This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Guilford Technical Community CollegeLocation: Jamestown, NC 27282 Document ID: AD162-512P Posted on: 2019-04-2604/26/2019 Job Type: Regular
Minimum Education: Masters2019-06-25
President of Guilford Technical Community College
The Role of the President
The president serves as the chief administrative officer of the college, and reports directly to the Board of Trustees. The president operates in accordance with all policies adopted by and within authority expressly delegated by the Board. The president carries out Board policy through established procedures and administrative best practices. In addition, the president understands and appreciates the proper relationship of shared governance between the Board and president.
The president is responsible for the overall direction, operation and management of the college. The president initiates and directs the work necessary to fulfill the college’s mission through:
- Establishing and sustaining strong partnerships within the college’s service area that include higher education institutions, Guilford County Schools, business and industry, governmental entities, and civic, cultural and community organizations.
- Building and supporting a strong team of administrators, talented and dedicated faculty, and student-focused professional staff that embrace educational and skills training excellence by nurturing a culture of high academic standards and student support and success.
- Being actively engaged with and implementing educational policies and management practices emanating from national, state, college levels which facilitate student learning, enabling smooth transition from education and training to employment, modernizing college operations, and providing for fiscal stability.
Opportunities and Challenges
As chief administrative officer of the college, the next president of GTCC will provide wise counsel to the Board and strong and trusted leadership to faculty and staff with respect to the opportunities and challenges that the college may be presented. The president is uniquely positioned to develop and recommend innovative policies and practices to the Board of Trustees for their consideration that serve the best interests of the institution, the students it serves, and the community. The next president of GTCC will encounter the following challenges and opportunities:
- Provide critically needed employability skills training and baccalaureate degree completion opportunities for students in a competitive labor market and challenging college transfer environment, while increasing enrollment and participation in ways that generate additional financial resources for the institution.
- Amidst a robust higher education community, recruit, retain, support and compensate faculty and staff dedicated to the pursuit of promoting and facilitating student success, meeting the training requirements of business, industry and community, and leading innovations in instruction and business processes.
- Utilize intrusive engagement, executive involvement, intentional student interactions, data analytics, and other initiatives to improve student recruitment, progression, completion and employment.
- Provide leadership and support to the faculty for a robust curriculum in technical education, degree, certificate and college transfer programs, new, expanded and accessible program opportunities in continuing education, and instruction in high demand occupations that become career options for students.
- Work with governmental, business and community leaders in the pursuit of economic development opportunities and the recruitment of business and industry for the benefit of all citizens in Guilford County. This work includes creating an awareness of all that GTCC can offer to both employers and prospective employees.
- Identify and respond to opportunities to modernize technology for instructional and operational purposes, including online instruction, learning management systems, additional quality-enhanced course offerings, and professional development.
- Embrace new student and customer market opportunities through the use of social media, re-branding the college, and innovative methods of creating public awareness of educational opportunities and benefits provided by the college as the first choice for students.
- Be an active participant in fostering diversity, equality and inclusion for both employees and students, including the hiring of faculty and staff that is ethnically and gender diverse, and supporting them once they are on-boarded.
The Board of Trustees seeks as its next president an individual who is committed to student access and success, is an effective communicator, maintains, develops and values a strong team of faculty and staff, is a vibrant ambassador and advocate, develops strong community partnerships, possesses financial and operational acumen, and is an accomplished professional with the experiences, skill sets, and credentials to effectively lead the college. The next president of the college should be a person that:
- Is visible, accessible and approachable by students, faculty and staff, intentionally engaging them within their organizations, classrooms, and meetings, and participates in the life of the campus and greater community.
- Has excellent speaking, communication and interpersonal skills, is a good listener, is welcoming of opportunities to appear before student, employee, civic and cultural groups and organizations, demonstrates a passion for the college, and exudes enthusiasm and warmth toward students and employees.
- Builds enduring partnerships with the community by becoming familiar with the service area, is present within the service area, enjoys meeting and working with people from all sectors, takes the college out to the community, and becomes the face of the institution to all constituencies. It is expected that the successful candidate will reside fulltime in Guilford County.
- Is an innovator, fosters an entrepreneurial culture and climate within the college, is not risk averse yet exercises good judgment and decision-making when investigating new teaching and learning models, and works with the Board in advancing action plans to move the college forward.
- Is a visionary and transformational leader, working in collaboration with the Board and campus community to think into the future about how the college must be positioned to respond to the evolving nature of work, new occupations, alternative service-delivery methods, exploring new revenue streams, and maximizing facility utilization.
- Has demonstrated leadership skills in directing and managing a large, complex and multi-dimensional institution with multiple locations, who in their leadership style has high personal business ethics and sets personal, measurable goals, and exercises leadership in a fair and consistent manner.
- Is self-confident and comfortable in delegating multiple responsibilities, trusting administrators, faculty and staff to execute them, and holds them accountable for the outcomes.
- Possesses strong analytical skills, has budget and fiscal acumen, is capable of aligning resources with the mission of the institution, and can articulate the resource needs to governmental, philanthropic, business and supporting organizations, in order to maintain and enhance the financial viability of the college.
- Practices transparency in transactions, is collaborative and consultative in decision-making and communicates outcomes regularly.
- Has accreditation experience, can lead the development of strategic or master facility plans, and working knowledge of institutional assessment and effectiveness.
- Candidates should have a proven record of executive leadership, preferably in higher education at a public or private institution, with accompanying credentials and relevant experience. A minimum credential of a Master’s Degree or equivalent is required. An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited institution is desirable.
- Executive skills with relevant working knowledge and experience in leading and managing a complex organization, educational policy, creating and sustaining education and workforce development programs, student success initiatives, fiscal management, and capital construction is preferred.
- An extensive background in community college education and administration is also preferred.
How to Apply:
This is a confidential search process. To ensure full consideration, application materials should be received no later than June 7, 2019. The position will remain open until filled.
To apply go to https://acctsearches.org/president-guilford-technical-community-college-nc/ and upload your documents.
Candidates will need to have the following information or materials available to complete the application:
- A letter of application (not to exceed 5 pages) that succinctly addresses the opportunities and challenges identified in the Position Profile and demonstrates how the candidate’s experience and professional qualifications prepare them to serve as the President of Guilford Technical Community College.
- A current resume including an email address and cellular telephone number.
- A list of eight references: example, two to three supervisors, two to three direct reports and two to three faculty and/or staff members from current and former institutions.
For additional information, nominations or confidential inquiries please contact:
- Kennon Briggs, ACCT Search Consultant, firstname.lastname@example.org, (919) 621-7988 (mobile)
- Julie Golder, J.D., Vice President of Search Services, ACCT, email@example.com, (202) 384-5816 (mobile), 202-775-4466 (office)
*An ACCT Search*