About Oakton Community College :
For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Job Description:Basic Function and Responsibility:
Provide leadership, management, and direction to the Oakton intercollegiate athletic program, intramural sports activities, and fitness center programs. Hire and effectively lead, supervise and manage Athletic Department personnel, including coaches and assigned staff (full, part-time, and temporary) in support of developing and maximizing a culture that results in measurable student success outcomes. Provide strategic guidance to academic support activities and services for intercollegiate student-athletes. Plan and coordinate the use of the athletic facilities and fields.Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise and direct the operations of Athletics in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations and guidelines including the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) and Title IX.
- Provide oversight for compliance and the certification of eligibility of all intercollegiate athletes as required by the NJCAA.
- Recruit, hire, train, and provide effective leadership to athletic department supervisors, staff members, coaches, student workers, and contractors assigned to support the academic success of Oakton student-athletes.
- Supervise and direct the Athletics supervisors and staff in their operation and management of the Athletic Department.
- Develop, prepare control and monitor budgets assigned to intercollegiate athletics, intramural sports, and Fitness Center programs. This includes oversight of awarding scholarships to student-athletes.
- Select, purchase, and maintain supplies and equipment for intercollegiate athletic events, teams, and intramural sports activities while promoting equity of resources.
- Promote a highly collaborative working environment within the athletic department and between academic departments, enrollment services, and other identified administrative offices.
- Oversee the planning, arrangement, and scheduling of all athletic events.
- Direct the use of the athletic facilities and fields.
- Initiate and guide strategic planning for athletics and facility improvements, as well as goal setting, assessment, and evaluation of all intercollegiate, intramural, and Fitness Center programs.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the Facilities Department to maintain, prepare, and improve athletic fields, courts, and grounds; recommend maintenance and improvements for space and equipment.
- In cooperation with College Relations, oversee departmental promotion, marketing and publicity, both throughout the College and within the community. This includes overseeing website accuracy, information, updates and postings for the College, Conference, Regional and NJCAA websites.
- Organize, coordinate, and regularly deliver orientation program for College coaches. This includes developing, updating, and distributing a Coaches' Handbook that clearly outlines the rules, regulations, and expectations that reflect Oakton's values.
- Ensure that all Athletics Department affiliates (including students, coaches and staff) meet safety compliance requirements.
- Direct and supervise the intramural sports program including facilities, employment of officials, selection and purchase of equipment, and the compilation of records.
- Promote the achievement of academic excellence and high standards and expectations of sportsmanship and appropriate conduct among student athletes. Plan and coordinate academic support activities and services for intercollegiate student-athletes.
- Develop and implement a community outreach plan and establish strong relations with external stakeholders, which involves active outreach to Oakton alumni. This also includes maintaining relationships with local secondary, collegiate, and non-profit athletic programs.
- Provide leadership and oversight to all College Athletics fundraising activities. Coordinate activities with Oakton's Office of Alumni Relations.
- Establish an Oakton Athletic Advisory Board in support of increasing interest and transparency about department plans, goals, and initiatives as well as the effective use of college resources.
- Serve on College committees that relate to athletics and other committees as appropriate/assigned.
- Direct and collaborate with Athletics department staff to prepare and produce written departmental reports and updates (quarterly and annually). This includes organized reporting on the recognition and achievements received by Oakton student-athletes (both academic and sports achievements).
- Represent Oakton Community College in the Illinois Skyway Collegiate Conference, NJCAA Region IV, and other organizations as required and appropriate. This includes assuring that the Athletic Department is in compliance with conference requirements, college policies, and procedures.
- Prepare and submit reports and related correspondence, such as the DOE Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Report, which signifies Oakton's compliance with applicable reporting and Athletics program requirements.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Requirements:Important Note: As a full-time staff member within the Athletic Department, the Senior Manager of Athletics will not be allowed to serve as a coach for any Oakton Intercollegiate Athletic Team/Program.Hiring Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education. Master's degree in Physical Education, Sports Management, or related field preferred.
- Three or more years of progressive leadership experience in athletic administration required.
- Five or more years in physical education, coaching, athletics management, or related experience required.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory experience, including supporting the development of coaches required.
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing a departmental or program budget required. Successful leadership of comprehensive Athletics budgeting preferred.
- Experience, and commitment to, working with diverse populations required.
- Participation in professional development activities that indicate an ongoing commitment to intercollegiate athletics as an enrichment opportunity.
- One year or more administering student athlete eligibility per NJCAA or other College or High School level organization required.
- Experience with NJCAA athletics programs preferred.
- Demonstrated ability developing and executing department plans in alignment with identified college resources preferred.
- Demonstrated high level organization skills and ability to actively collaborate with multiple departments across the college preferred.
- Ability to travel between campuses and to offsite events.
- Ability to effectively communicate in-person, over phone, and email.
- Ability to speak publically and appropriately represent the College at Athletics Department events.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Availability to supervise and direct staff on nights and weekends as needed.
Additional Information:Supervision Received:
Administrative Supervision is received from the AVP/Dean of Access, Equity, and Diversity, as well as the Vice-President for Student Affairs.Supervision Exercised:
Functional supervision is exercised over employees and contractors assigned to the athletic department and fitness center programs.
HOURS: Monday through Friday 8:15 am - 5:00 pm
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Full Consideration will be given to applications received on or before June 14, 2019
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.URL:
www.oakton.eduTo apply please click here!