This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Whitworth UniversityLocation: Spokane, WA 99251 Document ID: A7013-0DAH Posted on: 2013-01-0901/09/2013 Job Type: Contract
Will pay relocation expenses
ASSISTANT/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF EDUCATION
Director of Student Teaching
The School of Education at Whitworth University offers undergraduate and graduate programs for the initial preparation of teachers and masters’ degree programs for the preparation of administrators, counselors and advanced preparation for teachers. The School is housed in Dixon Hall and has 19 full-time faculty and 11 support staff. All professional education programs are approved by the Washington Professional Educator Standards Board and accredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
Reporting to the Chair, Department of Teacher Education, serve in a leadership role as Director of Student Teaching and teach courses in the program. Provide energetic, collegial leadership and collaborate with university and P-12 school system personnel. Position has two months academic leave yearly.
Responsibilities and Related Duties
- Teach courses in the Undergraduate Teacher Education Program.
- Serve as the Director of Student Teaching for the Undergraduate Teacher Education Program.
- Work with public and private schools to place student teachers.
- Recruit, train and supervise student teaching supervisors.
- Participate in university governance.
- Engage in appropriate professional and scholarly activities.
- Advise students on academic program and professional development.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities:
- Doctorate in education or related field preferred; ABD will be considered.
- Minimum of three years of P-12 teaching experience required; supervisory experience working with field placements and university level teaching experience preferred.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching and leadership required.
- Strong knowledge of current research and best practice in teacher education.
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with P-12 teachers and higher education.
- Familiarity with integration of technology in education and willingness to use current technology in teaching.
- A personal commitment to the Christian faith and to the integration of faith and learning.
- The ability and desire to establish a positive relationship with persons regardless of race, gender, physical limitation or religious belief.
- A commitment to equal opportunity for all persons.
- A commitment to the educational mission of Whitworth as a Christian liberal arts university affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (USA).
- Background check and education verification required.
Please submit the following six application documents
- A letter of interest that relates your education and experience to the requirements of the position.
- Your resumé/curriculum vita.
- The names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of three academic/professional references.
- Your graduate and undergraduate transcripts (May be unofficial at this time. Official transcripts will be required when an offer to interview is extended.)
- Three recent student course evaluations (if available).
- An essay addressing your Christian faith (Information on writing the essay is available at www.whitworth.edu/facultyfaithessay).
Application documents may be submitted via email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
or mailed directly to the address shown below:
Human Resource Services, Auld House
Attn: Chair, Director of Student Teaching Search Committee
300 West Hawthorne Road
Spokane, WA 99251
Whitworth complies with all federal, state, and local nondiscrimination laws that are applicable to religious nonprofit institutions and does not engage in unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, or disability. With our commitment to building a diverse community, the university encourages applications from populations underrepresented at Whitworth including members of racial/ethnic communities, women, and persons with disabilities.