This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Virginia TechLocation: Blacksburg, VA 24061 Document ID: AB025-0BSR Posted on: 2017-11-2011/20/2017 Job Type: Full-time
The Virginia Tech Transportation Institute ( VTTI ) seeks qualified ambitious research engineers with aptitude for assisting customers in framing human factors research questions and developing data analysis tools and techniques to answer those questions.
The candidate should be an experienced engineer capable of working independently and with multidisciplinary teams to improve transportation safety through cutting-edge research. As a Research Associate, this opening is pursuing applicants that demonstrate experience and skills in transportation human factors, programming and basic statistics including experimental design.
Research projects range from small test-track experiments using a single next-generation vehicle to large naturalistic studies involving hundreds of vehicles on live roadways. The research often features data acquisition systems to unobtrusively collect various sensor elements with the aim of characterizing the roadway, vehicle, and driver performance. These measures are analyzed to address specific research questions that tend to focus on the characterization of existing transportation problems (e.g. crash causation) and/or the performance/development of advanced vehicle systems (e.g. crash avoidance technology). This position is expected to focus predominantly on driver support systems including autonomous vehicle systems.
Experience with vehicle systems, signal processing, and data analysis tools is preferred. The applicant must be comfortable and proficient in an environment where each project has some commonalities with previous but many new challenges to solve.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Organize customer needs into feasible open-road experiments, test track experiments, or analysis of large scale naturalistic driving databases as is appropriate.
- Oversee instrumentation of vehicles to support research needs
- Develop program code for robust distillation of sensor and questionnaire data into informative summary data
- Conduct routine data collection and analysis and determine the accuracy and completeness of the data collected.
- Coordinate research support activities including video reduction tasks and recruiting
- Execute appropriate statistical analyses for different research applications.
-Oversee the daily operations of a project including schedule and budget maintenance.
- Apply fundamental physics and engineering concepts to quantify driving situations particularly related to safety.
- Develop analysis code to process vehicle measures (e.g., accelerations, yaw, range to other vehicles) and describe events and alternative outcomes.
- Write well documented, concise, and reliable code to perform various analysis tasks and subtasks of larger analyses.
- Generate graphical and tabular summaries of large quantities of analyzed data.
- Write proposals and statements-of-work
-Interface directly with sponsors to understand requirements and deliver technical presentations
-Travel to research sites (requirement fluctuates but will generally be -Research and compose literature reviews,
-Compose, review, and critique reports and research plans
-Present research findings
Directions given and received:
Receive instructions on project objectives, feedback on proposed research plans, and project logistics from principal investigators, project managers and team members. Will supervise or coordinate the work of graduate research assistants, technicians, and others who assist in specific assignments.
-M.S. in Human Factors Engineering, Experimental and Human Factors Psychology, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Engineering or Electrical and Computer Engineering. Candidates with a lesser degree and significant experience in lieu of master's degree will also be considered.
-Demonstrated experience and interest in programming.
-Demonstrated experience in transportation or related field.
- Working knowledge of mechanical engineering / engineering physics principles
-Ability to lead project teams and oversee project schedule, budgets, and deliverables.
-Demonstrated strong writing and organizational skills.
-Solid understanding of engineering principles needed to analyze, verify, and interpret work.
-Proficient in data processing and analysis.
- MATLAB programming experience is preferred.
-Database programming preferred.
-Motorcycle familiarity preferred.
-Experience with vehicle systems, signal processing, and data analysis tools is preferred
To apply please click here!