This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Virginia TechLocation: Blacksburg, VA 24061 Document ID: AA351-0H1G Posted on: 2018-01-0901/09/2018 Job Type: Full-time
Department Head, Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology
The Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology in the Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Tech seeks a creative and visionary leader for the position of Department Head.
The Department embraces a One Health approach as it implements a vision to expand life sciences at Virginia Tech through discovery, learning and service. One Health recognizes the dynamic interdependence of human, animal, and environmental health. In addition to strong programs in infectious and parasitic diseases, the department makes significant contributions in the areas of cell and tissue form and function, pharmacology and toxicology, immunology, pathology and clinical pathology. Departmental responsibilities include instruction in the DVM , MS and PhD degree programs, diagnostic service, and research and scholarship.
The Department Head will provide leadership and management of all departmental academic, research and service activities and will serve on the College Executive Board. This entails supervision of faculty and staff, administrative responsibility for planning, fiscal management, human resources and communication. The Department Head is also expected to advance the research, teaching and diagnostic service missions of the department, nurture interdisciplinary collaboration and work toward the strategic goals of the department, college, and university. In addition to departmental leadership responsibilities, the Head is expected to contribute personally to the teaching and/or service missions of the Department and maintain an active, extramurally-funded research program.
• One of the following: PhD, DVM , MD or equivalent degree
• Demonstrated ability to develop a high-quality research program with sustained extramural funding
• Experience in academic leadership
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to work effectively as a member of a team
• A scholarship record sufficient to be eligible for tenure as a professor in the Department
• Ability to articulate an innovative vision for biomedical sciences and pathobiology
• Evidence of interdisciplinary collaboration
• Willingness and ability to work in a high-tech environment consistent with computer-aided instruction and distance learning
• Commitment to advancing diversity and inclusion in an academic environment
• PhD and DVM or equivalent degrees
• Understanding of issues related to delivery of veterinary diagnostic services
• Direct experience with veterinary medical education
• Interest and/or experience in research mentoring of students
To apply please click here!