This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Wheaton CollegeDocument ID: AB445-0IFF Posted on: 2017-12-1512/15/2017 Job Type: Regular
Director of Research and Instruction
As a member of the Library Deans and Directors group, this position participates in strategic planning for and operational oversight of the library, and is responsible for the strategic direction of research and instructional services, including the information literacy skills program. This includes responsibility for identifying innovative user-centered initiatives and facilitating the creation of an overall vision, which includes curriculum development, information literacy skills, and technology planning to ensure excellence in research and scholarship.
Responsibilities of the Director of Research and Instruction include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop goals, objectives, and assessment protocols for Research and Instruction activities; develop and monitor key metrics for performance against the goals and strategic plans of the library.
• Develop and direct services in direct support of student and faculty scholarly activities and explore and propose collaborative projects, options for new library services, and options for better integration of services. Continually assess and reinvent programs and services to meet the needs of users.
• Direct the library role in teaching information and technology fluency skills, and participate in the ongoing planning and development of a proposed Center for Teaching and Learning.
• Coordinate library collaboration with faculty to use resources effectively in order to meet student learning outcomes, and effectively support student research.
• Oversee development and management of online learning services, including the course management system.
• Hire and manage staff, provide mentorship and career coaching as well as personal development for direct reports.
• Manage and develop a budget supporting the activities of Research and Instruction services.
• Coordinate communication and outreach activities for the department with all segments of the Wheaton community and professional peers.
• Apply knowledge of best practices in the assessment and development of programs and models for supporting research.
• Contribute actively in instructional/academic technology planning and development across campus.
• ALA -accredited MLS and 5-7 years of increasing responsibility in program and staff management required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Thorough knowledge of trends in higher education in general, and trends in libraries, instruction, instructional technology, and scholarly information in particular, and ability to analyze, implement and adapt to evolving services and technologies.
• Ability to demonstrate a high level of diplomacy in persuading and influencing a wide variety of people at various levels to achieve results.
• Proficiency and aptitude for instructional technology. Proficiency with standard desktop applications, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, etc.
• The successful candidate will be collaborative, technologically sophisticated, committed to problem-solving in local and regional arenas, able to develop innovative solutions to complex problems, able to work productively with faculty, staff and students across the College, and follow developments and trends in higher education technology and instruction.
• A clear commitment for delivering high quality service to an academic community.
• Creative problem-solving abilities, intellectual curiosity, and initiative.
• Effective writing, verbal, communication, and interpersonal skills.
• Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail and thoroughness.
• Project management aptitude or experience.
• Team orientation, flexibility, versatility, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex and changing public service environment.
• Demonstrated aptitude and enthusiasm for teaching in a college environment, including the ability to work effectively with faculty, students, and colleagues.
• Demonstrated knowledge of, or interest in, trends regarding access to information and digital library technologies.
• Strong interest in playing an integral role in actively developing campus-wide information fluency initiatives.
• Experience with mentoring or staff development.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with faculty and information technologists in designing and implementing innovative virtual and physical research environments.
• Demonstrated knowledge of user needs analysis in provision of innovative library and knowledge management services and programs.
• Demonstrated successful experience with change management.
• Experience using technologies to provide and enhance library services and their changing roles in higher education.
• Experience in use of digital knowledge management and delivery systems.
• Teaching experience strongly preferred.
Individuals must possess these knowledges, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
Wheaton is a private coeducational liberal arts college within easy commuting distance of Boston and Providence. We have 1,600 undergraduates from 39 US States and 72 countries. More than 23.7% of our undergraduates are U.S. students of color and 13.9% are international students. Wheaton College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, or disability. In a continuing effort to maintain and enrich an intellectually diverse learning environment, the Department and the College actively encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented groups.
Posting Date: 11/09/2017
Open Until Filled Yes
Office of Human Resources
Contact Phone/Extension: 508-286-8206
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Instructions to Candidates:
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of References
To apply please click here!
|More Jobs from Wheaton College|