This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Texas A&M University - Health Science CenterLocation: Bryan, TX 77807 Document ID: AC345-3OCN Posted on: 2018-08-3108/31/2018 Job Type: Regular
Dept Head, Primary Care & Population Medicine
Texas A&M University - Health Science Center
Department Head, Primary Care and Population Medicine
Texas A&M University Health Science Center (TAMHSC) (www.tamhsc.edu) seeks an outstanding strategic and collaborative leader to serve as the Department Head of Primary Care and Population Medicine for the Texas A&M College of Medicine
Expectations are that the Department Head of Primary Care and Population Medicine of the College of Medicine will build a top ranked comprehensive department including research and scholarly activities and be committed to improving the health in Texas through an interprofessional population health management approach. Additionally, the Department will address both rural and military health as a defined goal of TAMHSC. TAMHSC anticipates that the Department of Primary Care and Population Medicine will become the preferred partner among local and regional health systems as well as insurers and employers. This service is critical to the success of TAMHSC’s population health strategy.
This Department will be integral to the tripartite mission/vision of the Texas A&M University and the Health Science Center strategic plan. The Department Head of Primary Care and Population Medicine will provide exemplary leadership to a department that is committed to excellence in clinical care, education and research related to primary care and population medicine.
The Department Head will be a visionary leader who will work collaboratively with institutional leadership to develop the department and provide the day-to-day leadership and management responsibilities of all components of the department while leading the future development of service, research and educational programs, ultimately shaping the department’s future. The Department Head will have a track record of interprofessional collaboration and academic success in research and education.
The Department Head will have ample opportunity to recruit physicians and other key staff to create and facilitate new programmatic initiatives including successful population health arrangements. The Department Head will work with the TAMHSC leadership to develop and implement a primary care and population medicine strategy to address the needs of Texas’ community health.
- The Department Head will be responsible for clinical, academic, and administrative activities of the Department; will ensure an environment that promotes excellence, inclusion, academic and clinical productivity and meets the primary care and health needs of communities that TAMHSC serves.
- To achieve success in each of the tripartite missions, significant opportunities exists to develop a strong clinical service, to recruit and build a comprehensive clinical service while providing administrative, educational and research oversight.
- Will establish an “ideal state” overarching and long-term plan for the department, that considers the unique context and the strategic vision for TAMHSC and the College of Medicine. This plan will foster innovation, integration and be responsive to opportunities in this complex academic University enterprise.
- The Department Head will work with TAMHSC leadership to develop the initiatives required to further develop the Department of Primary Care and Population Medicine.
- Be responsible for the overall leadership, direction, operation and management of the Department, while leading the strategic direction and programmatic clinical, research and education development.
- An M.D. or M.D./PhD. with national recognition in the field of Family Medicine, Internal Medicine or Pediatrics.
- Preferable background in the field of Primary Care Medicine and Population Medicine as evidenced by involvement in academic and clinical societies at a national level.
- A significant leadership role in a complex interdisciplinary university or academic health science center, with demonstrated strategic and implementation skills, particularly with respect to balancing the academic tripartite mission.
- Ideally, the candidate would have health system management experience in additional to academic leadership experience.
- Leadership skills necessary to build a clinical service program based upon educational and research priorities while also building the key relationships linked to the clinical mission of the total enterprise.
- The ability to develop and lead significant research programs, emphasizing clinical research by physician scientists and including a broad appreciation for the spectrum of basic, translational, applied, and patient-oriented investigation.
- Senior level administrative expertise that has included strategic and operational planning, preparation of budgets, effective management of resources within a budget, personnel organization and management, and resident and faculty recruiting.
- Extensive administrative experience in a large university-based school of medicine with academic, staff, and support personnel as well as complex campus or health system inter-relationships.
- Experience in an interdisciplinary health science center setting.
Texas A&M Health Science Center (TAMHSC) is “Transforming Health” through innovative research and education in dentistry, medicine, nursing, pharmacy, public health and medical sciences. With campus locations and clinical affiliates spanning the State of Texas, TAMHSC has a structured model which acts as a conduit for community-based research, health education and disease prevention initiatives to improve lives within Texas’ 254 counties.
TAMHSC as a member of Texas A&M University, one of the largest research universities in the United States, with 19 colleges and schools under its umbrella, their faculty and students receive a wide array of transformational research opportunities and collaborations.
The Health Science Center includes the following Colleges:
College of Medicine
College of Nursing
Rangel College of Pharmacy
School of Public Health
Texas A&M University Baylor College of Dentistry
Texas A&M University
- Texas A&M’s rare triple designation as a land-, sea-, and space-grant institution reflects the broad scope of its research, which includes ongoing projects funded by prominent and diverse agencies such as NASA, the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, and the Office of Naval Research.
- Texas A&M is an active member of the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU)—a research, policy, and advocacy organization dedicated to strengthening and advancing the work of public universities in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.
- As a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities—one of only sixty-two institutions with this distinction—Texas A&M University flagship is located in College Station, TX and has branch campuses in Galveston, Texas, and Doha, Qatar.
- Further, the College of Medicine has a significant and increasing research presence in the Texas Medical Center located in Houston, TX.
- The University maintains formal agreements for research collaborations and faculty–student exchanges with more than 117 institutions in 40 countries, plus active research programs on all continents.
Korn Ferry is assisting Texas A&M Health Science Center with this important search. The search process is currently underway and will continue until the position is filled. Please forward as soon as possible, applications or nominations of appropriate candidates to:
Nadine Weiler, Arnie Sherrin, John Ferry
Texas A&M University is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA employer.