This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
Delaware County Community CollegeLocation: Media, PA 19063 Document ID: AD035-4HQ1 Posted on: 2019-01-3101/31/2019 Job Type: Regular
Minimum Education: Bachelors2019-03-02
Chief of Staff
Delaware County Community College, located in the heart of Delaware County, is looking for a dynamic Chief of Staff, who will report directly to the President. The primary responsibility of the Chief of Staff (COS) position is to manage, facilitate, coordinate, and direct key functions and activities of the President’s office. The COS serves as a confidential senior advisor to the President and reports directly to the President on a wide variety of administrative and executive duties, special projects, and initiatives involving the President’s office and its priorities. The COS coordinates the execution of College-wide projects undertaken by the President, and Cabinet, as well as handling questions, concerns, issues, and requests on the President’s behalf.
- Helps to facilitate strategic management processes, provide expertise, and program management for specific strategic initiatives out of the President’s office that are critical in meeting the institutions strategic planning goals and College priorities;
- Coordinates the execution of strategic initiatives by working with the Cabinet in the development, implementation and assessment of the College’s strategic plan;
- Implements systems, workflows and principles that ensure the President’s time and attention are strategically directed;
- Responsible for interacting with colleagues across the College to ensure institutional alignment and synergy with the College’s strategic plan and College priorities;
- Bridges communication gaps between senior leaders, business units, and satellite campuses by cascading key decisions made at the Presidential and Cabinet level;
- Interacts with members at all levels of the College community for the purpose of defining, advancing, and assessing the work of the Office of the President to ensure its continued effectiveness;
- Exercises considerable judgement in his/her capacity with the responsibility for analyzing policy issues, identifying college-wide impacts and coordinating responses to the President on strategies and alternatives for dealing with issues;
- Handles and directs special projects as assigned by the President;
- Prepares and/or contributes to the preparation of reports, proposals, briefings, and presentations, responses on institutional and strategic issues;
- Liaison to the Board of Trustees on key executive matters as delegated by the President;
- Coordinates and plays a lead role in government relations with the President’s office and the College;
- Participates in key meetings with faculty, administrators, and others as needed;
- Represents the President, and introduces and promotes college projects and initiatives to a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including members of local, regional and state governments, business and community leaders, employees, alumni, and Board of Trustees of the college.
- Assists the President with correspondence dealing with issues which sometimes require considerable sensitivity, discretion, judgement or negotiation;
- Develops and deliver complex presentation materials including charts, graphs, and other data representations and make recommendations for new operational strategies, programs and/or revisions to existing policies to senior leadership and other diverse groups;
- Manages the budget of the President’s office and follow-up on budgetary issues and actions for special projects;
- At the direction of the President, assists in all aspects of College administration;
- Builds and nurtures relationships to serve as a resource for the President and point of contact as designated for key constituents to resolve complex issues and help move forward strategic priorities; and
- Responsible for other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- BA/BS required; Ph.D./Ed.D. preferred;
- 8-10 years of experience working in a complex organization, preferably higher education;
- A minimum of 5 years of experience influencing and working closely with executive level leaders;
- Proven track record of developing effective partnerships across disparate groups to organize and facilitate decisions and ensure implementation;
- Experience with government and external relations required;
- Exceptional written, presentation, and verbal communication skills that can be applied across all levels of the College;
- Excellent judgment and diplomacy in working with diverse groups;
- Unquestionable integrity, and highly regarded people management skills are required; and
- Experience balancing strategic leadership with detailed involvement in support of accountabilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
The successful candidate will have experience in making sound-independent judgment; ability to coordinate office detail in conjunction with policy; proven experience handling highly confidential and sensitive materials and situations. Ability to master a wide range of relationships, tasks, and perspectives required; increasing responsibility working with higher education executives at an academic institution is preferred. Must have exceptional organization and analytical skills; demonstrate strong problem-solving skills; and be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Must be able to work independently, prioritize work, and independently manage multiple and competing priorities while meeting deadlines.
DCCC is an equal opportunity employer.