This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
St. John's UniversityLocation: Jamaica, NY 11439 Document ID: AB375-4HX1 Posted on: 2018-05-1805/18/2018 Job Type: Full-time
Founding Program Director of the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) Program
The College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences at St. John's University invites applications and nominations for the position of Founding Program Director of the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) Program.
St. John's University is seeking a visionary individual with academic leadership experience and a strong interest in community health and service to build and lead the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program. In keeping with the mission of the University, the academic programs are greatly influenced by the work and beliefs of St. Vincent de Paul of "caring for and educating those in need." In the Vincentian tradition, the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program will emphasize community health and service to underserved populations. Throughout St. John's 100 year history, the University has become one of New York's most iconic institutions known for its exemplary education, diverse student population and prominent standing in college athletics as a NCAA Division 1 school.
The successful candidate will have an excellent opportunity to design the DPT Program from the ground up and, consistent with all academic majors in the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, become known for educating top clinicians in the profession who are prepared to practice in clinical, teaching and research environments, both nationally and internationally. The DPT Program will be one of five programs taught by faculty in the Department of Clinical Health Professions including Doctor of Pharmacy, M.S. Physician Assistant Studies, B.S. Clinical Laboratory Sciences, and B.S Radiologic Sciences. The University is providing excellent resources consisting of 6 faculty lines and a complete curriculum along with a plan for construction and renovation of space to accommodate the program. As St. John's has amassed impressive strategic alliances with leading health care institutions across New York, there is a distinguished clinical network in place to fulfill the requirements of its health profession degree programs. The Founding Director will have the advantage of building upon existing relationships to secure sites for the program's clinical component.
The Program Director will be responsible for presenting the program to the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) and will shepherd the accreditation process.
- Preparation of the Application for Candidacy and submission to CAPTE.
- Working collaboratively with the Associate Dean of the College and the Associate Dean for Health Sciences, to ensure the development of the program is in compliance with the guidelines of CAPTE.
- Collaboration with the Chair of the Department of Clinical Health Professions to recruit, hire and mentor faculty.
- Development of the University catalogue program description.
- Collaboration with the admissions office on student recruitment.
- Review and modification of curriculum to keep pace with the delivery of physical therapy education and to innovate and lead the profession into the 21 st
- Expanding on existing partnerships with health systems to maximize the clinical experience for students and ensure compliance with program requirements.
- Identifying and forging interprofessional opportunities both within the University and externally to enhance the learning experience and prepare students to work as part of a team of healthcare professionals.
- Arranging scheduling of classes, teaching assignments for faculty and student advising.
- Collaboration with the Chair of the Department of Clinical Health Professions in the management of fiscal responsibilities including developing and monitoring the annual
- Creating a collegial and transparent work environment.
The successful candidate will possess demonstrated academic and leadership experience in physical therapy including active involvement in professional organizations, and hold both an academic doctoral degree (Ph.D., or equivalent) and a Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT). He/She must be licensed in physical therapy in a United States jurisdiction and eligible for licensure in New York. This is a tenure track position and candidates should be eligible for appointment at the Associate Professor level. Experience with CAPTE accreditation is strongly preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to build and maintain relationships with faculty, administration, staff, and students;
- A commitment to excellence in teaching, mentoring and advising students;
- A passion for academics and a physical therapist with sincere support and understanding of cultural diversity and the needs of the community.
- Strong support for interprofessional education and an interest in forging relationships with related health professions.
Screening of complete applications will begin immediately. All applications will be held in the strictest of confidence. To be considered for this position, please submit your curricula vitae, a letter of interest that addresses your qualifications, management and leadership philosophy, and a list of four professional references in Word format.
I understand that any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John's University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education. St. John's University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply please click here!