This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
St. John's UniversityLocation: Jamaica, NY 11439 Document ID: AB445-0IKR Posted on: 2017-11-2011/20/2017 Job Type: Full-time
Financial Aid Counselor for Institutional Programs, Military Veterans and Athle
Title: Financial Aid Counselor for Institutional Programs, Military Veterans and Athletic Awards
Department: Office of Financial Services
The Financial Aid Counselor shall report to the Director for Student Financial Services and shall be responsible for:
- Conducting interviews with students, parents and veterans regarding various financial aid programs and procedures and assisting students in completing financial aid applications.
- Meeting with and advising all Military Veterans who are interested in enrolling to discuss veteran benefits and financial aid opportunities and other options available to assist them in financing the program.
- Awarding, disbursing and tracking athletic awards while maintaining continuous communication with the Athletic Compliance Team.
- Promoting an atmosphere for compliance by maintaining working knowledge of NCAA/Big East Conference rules and regulations related to Financial Aid, attending NCAA/Big East related training sessions and reporting infractions to the Director of Athletics or Associate Director for Athletic Compliance in a timely manner. Consistently report infractions according to both the provisions of the Big East/NCAA enforcement and the St. John's policies and procedures.
- Representing the Athletic Appeals Committee in cases related to athletically related appeals that require a formal committee hearing.
- Coordinating and certifying federal veteran funding in accordance with guidance from the Veteran Administration and adhering to federal, state and University guidelines.
- Disbursing and tracking federal veteran eligibility for awards and communicating required adjustments with the Department of Veteran Affairs.
- Awarding, renewing and monitoring grants and scholarships funded through institutional resources.
- Review and complete federal verification cases, ensuring accuracy and maintain accountability by careful attention to detail in compliance with federal regulations.
- Meeting with prospective and enrolled students and parents to assist in aid review and tuition management decisions. Also assists with problem resolution when necessary.
- Represent and be prepared to speak on financial aid at Open House, high school nights and other events.
- Delivering seamless, effective customer service with a diverse population of students, staff, faculty, alumni and outside agencies.
- And all other duties as assigned by the Director for Student Financial Services.
- 2-4 years work experience required.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Experience in Financial aid, Higher Education or related field preferred.
St. John's offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John's performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
I understand that any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John's University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John's University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply please click here!