This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
St. John's UniversityLocation: Jamaica, NY 11439 Document ID: AB375-4HWW Posted on: 2018-04-2004/20/2018 Job Type: Part-time
Early Awareness Academy Instructor - Part-Time
Position Title: Early Awareness Academy Instructor
Position: Part Time
Program Description: The Liberty Partnerships Program is sponsored by the New York State Education Department and St. John's University. It is designed to provide support services to high school students who are identified as having the potential to pursue a college education but need assistance to complete secondary school. The program provides a broad range of services designed to increase academic skill development, motivation to succeed, and to foster the personal development of the students in the program. These year-round services include: tutoring, counseling, mentoring, developmental courses, and social and enrichment activities. This position will take place during the LPP Saturday and after-school program located at John Adams High School.
The Early Awareness Academy Instructor will coordinate, develop and facilitate a curriculum for mentoring and tutoring freshmen and transferring sophomore students, focusing on transitional support from middle school to high school. This instructor will help students develop soft skills, while planning and executing lessons that include: study skills, time management, anger management, communication, peer-pressure, bullying, gang activity awareness, and the dangers of drugs, alcohol and tobacco abuse.
- Collaborate with High School Liaisons and/or school personnel to design and implement academic interventions for students;
- Assist in the coordination of tutorial services; conduct tutorial training; supervision of tutorial staff;
- Develop curriculum aligned with New York State Learning Standards. Curriculum should promote creativity, self expression, opportunity for mastery, and emotional and professional growth;
- Exhibit great classroom management skills that enable learning for all students.
- Masters' Degree in Education
- Three years teaching experience at the secondary or collegiate level
- Knowledge of NYS Learning Standards and Common Core
- Able to manage a group of 20 plus students
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to inspire and motivate youth
- Deep-rooted passion in serving students and helping them achieve their goals
- Must be able to engage young people and set structure and limits in a group setting
- Evening and Weekend work required
St. John's University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
I understand that any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John's University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
To apply please click here!