This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Princeton UniversityLocation: Princeton, NJ 08544 Document ID: A7052-01X7 Posted on: 2013-02-0502/05/2013 Job Type: Regular
Will pay relocation expenses
The Center for African American Studies (CAAS) at Princeton University provides an exciting and innovative model for teaching and research about African-descended people, with a central focus on their experiences in the United States. We embody this vision in a curriculum that reflects the complex interplay between the political, economic, and cultural forces that shape our understanding of the historic achievements and struggles of African-descended people in this country and around the world.
CAAS is looking for a Center Manager to work closely with the Chair to execute policy and strategic direction for the operation of the center, and participate in short and long-term planning for departmental operations and activities. In CAAS, the Chair establishes the academic and intellectual direction of the Center and the Center manager provides support for this vision. The Center Manager reports directly to the Chair, with a secondary reporting relationship to the Director of Academic Management in the Office of the Provost. The Center Manager is responsible for ensuring that the faculty, students, and staff in their academic department have the necessary assistance to carry out their academic, research and administrative duties.
The three most important aspects of the Center Manager's responsibilities are financial management, staff supervision, and academic management. The Manager ensures that all internal deadlines are met and that the Center is compliant with all internal guidelines and external regulations. He/She is responsible for attending all relevant training classes offered by the University pertaining to these duties.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Budget and financial management:
- Develops the administrative budget for the academic department, in collaboration with the Chair.
- Responsible for directly managing center finances which includes establishment of the operating budget, daily administration of endowed and restricted funds, and any grants or sponsored research.
- Develops and directly manages the operating budget for the center in collaboration with the Chair. Managing includes controlling and forecasting expenses, monthly reconciliations, and providing timely reports and analysis to the Chair upon request.
- Directly responsible for grant management of the center by tracking grant monies, providing budget reports to the Chair including any concerns, recommendations and budget constraints. Understanding endowment and/or sponsored grant restrictions, and assuring compliance.
- Supervises the hiring, performance reviews, merit increase process and terminations of the administrative staff.
- Staff members in the department have a formal reporting relationship to the manager.
- Supervises the administration of the teaching component of departmental activities, ensuring that the Center meets all deadlines from the offices of the Dean of the Faculty, Registrar, Dean of the College, and the Graduate School.
- Responsible for the teaching budget; appointments for faculty and postdoctoral researchers; budget for faculty leaves; submissions for faculty summer salary; appointments of visiting fellows and visiting students; course and enrollment information; graduate student teaching assignments (AIs); and summer study/research programs.
In addition to the duties described above, the Center Manager may have the following responsibilities:
- Represent CAAS to the Registrar, Dean of the College, and the Graduate School; monitor student records, manage graduate admissions for the Center, and administer graduate student support.
- Support events, seminars/lectures, and conferences.
Technology/Social Media marketing:
- Work closely with the Center's events and programs coordinator to build CAAS's image across multiple platforms and work with staff and faculty to drive our content via websites, social media networks (Facebook and Twitter), etc.
-Work closely with the Center's computer specialist to manage and direct the Center's technological needs. This will require a special understanding of technology in order to perform this role.
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred.
- 4-6 years in office management or related administrative position(s) that includes supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated experience in financial processing and reporting, including preparing and creating financial spreadsheets.
- Demonstrated experience in budget management and oversight of financial operations.
- Experience in the supervision and monitoring of staff relations and staff development and delegation of supervisory responsibility.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to anticipate and initiate appropriate action in support of the Chair and department faculty.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills. Ability to collaborate effectively.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Verbally and in writing, managers skillfully communicate process and policy information to faculty, staff and students.
- Intermediate/Advanced Microsoft Office suite skills, especially in Excel, and ability to learn new systems quickly.
Managers also must be sensitive to the needs and concerns of faculty, staff, and students and able to convey them to the Chair and other members of the University in a manner that is professional, objective and easily understood.
- Management experience in a university setting.
- Knowledge of University financial systems (Information Warehouse, Labor Accounting, and PeopleSoft).
- Skill with web development and desktop publishing software.
The final candidate will be required to successfully pass a background check.
To apply, go to: http://jobs.princeton.edu, and post to requisition #1300076