This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Hudson County Community CollegeLocation: Jersey City, NJ 07306 Document ID: AC053-26EE Posted on: 2018-02-0702/07/2018 Job Type: Regular
Hudson County Community College, NJ
President Position Profile
After 25 years of exemplary service and outstanding leadership, Hudson County Community College (HCCC) President Glen Gabert has announced his retirement.
The College’s Board of Trustees has launched a national search for a new President who will follow, and continue to build upon, President Gabert’s visionary legacy of quality, growth and expansion, and his undisputed commitment to social justice, diversity and equality. Strong ties to the diverse urban communities served by HCCC has positioned the institution as a “College of First Choice”.
The Board of Trustees invites all highly qualified individuals to apply for the position. The College seeks a visionary, highly experienced leader with a record of excellence and innovation, to continue building upon the framework that has been established. The College seeks an educational leader with firsthand knowledge of emerging trends in higher education and technology, who is also diplomatic, compassionate, and capable of overseeing this multi-campus urban institution located in the highly competitive New York City metropolitan area.
Founded in 1974, Hudson County Community College is a comprehensive, award-winning, student- and community-centered institution focused on fostering understanding, attaining success, and building better lives. Situated directly across the Hudson River from New York City, HCCC serves one of the most densely populated and ethnically diverse areas of the U.S. with County residents representing more than 90 different nationalities. The College operates two fully accredited, state-of-the-art campuses: the primary campus is located in the Journal Square section of Jersey City, NJ; the full-service North Hudson campus is in Union City, NJ. The new acquisition of a building in Secaucus, NJ is currently under development and will expand services to the service area.
Since our country’s founding, Hudson County has been the gateway to freedom and opportunity. With the Statue of Liberty in view from the College’s Journal Square campus, a hallmark of HCCC is its proud legacy of service to immigrants, the descendants of immigrants, and new arrivals to our nation.
HCCC is the largest of the four higher education institutions in Hudson County, with an unduplicated head count of almost 12,000 students. HCCC students were born in 119 different countries and speak 29 different languages. The College’s student body reflects the demographics of the County – 55.1% Hispanic, 8.1% Asian, 13.7% Black/African American, 12.1% White. HCCC is designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution. About 80% of the College’s students are dependent upon scholarships and financial assistance.
The 442 members of the College’s dedicated full and part-time faculty are as diverse as the students they teach, and are highly regarded for their credentials and their commitment to assisting students in attaining academic goals and excelling.
In 2017 the Equality of Opportunity Project ranked HCCC in the top 120 of 2,200 U.S. higher education institutions for social mobility, making HCCC the only community college in New Jersey’s top ten. The College offers more than 60 degree and certificate programs, including nationally acclaimed ESL, Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management, Nursing, and STEM programs. The HCCC Culinary Arts program is ranked number eight in the U.S. With 93.75% of graduates passing the NCLEX first time out, the HCCC Nursing program is ranked fourth among all New Jersey associate-degree, Registered Nursing programs.
Hudson County Community College has also been recognized with regional and national awards, including: American Association of Community Colleges Awards of Excellence for Advancing Diversity, Student Success, and Exemplary CEO/Board; Association of Community Colleges Trustees Equity, Chief Executive, and Professional Board Staff Member Awards; Association of College and Research Libraries Excellence in Academic Libraries Award (the only NJ institution ever to be so honored); National Tutoring Association Excellence Award; and New Jersey Business & Industry Association Good Neighbor Awards.
Since 2008, HCCC has undergone a capital expansion of over $200 million, and the College now owns more than 12 state-of-the-art facilities it has constructed and/or renovated. Both of the College’s campuses are located near the County’s major public transportation hubs.
The HCCC Foundation was instituted in 1991 and has since provided more than $3 million in scholarships to deserving students. In addition, the Foundation offers enrichment programs for students and members of the general community. In 2006, the Foundation created the HCCC Foundation Art Collection which now includes more than 1,000 works that are installed in the public areas of the College’s buildings.
HUDSON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE
Presidential Position Description
Challenges and Opportunities:
The next HCCC President will be an experienced leader with a proven track record. The President will be an individual who will embrace this unique, growing, ever-evolving, and highly competitive urban-metropolitan community while addressing the following challenges and opportunities to improve the lives of students and residents of this vibrant and highly diverse area:
- Continue to build upon the commitment of the Trustees, administration, faculty and staff to implement innovative approaches in meeting the educational needs of this ethnically diverse, growing, urban commuter student body by providing high quality academic and workforce development programs, as well as continuing education opportunities.
- Expand and foster partnerships and build strong alliances with local business, industry, government, community organizations, school districts, and colleges and universities.
- Anticipate changes in Federal, state and county funding, and – in partnership with the College’s Foundation – identify new sources of funding and lead fundraising efforts to support the needs of students, invest in faculty and staff development, and equip state-of-the-art classrooms and laboratories.
- Guide the College through the Middle States Commission on Higher Education ten-year review process, as well as the development of a collaborative and inclusive strategic planning process.
- Undertake new capital construction projects while overseeing the development of a new, master capital plan.
The HCCC College President is responsible for improving the quality of life and economic well-being of the College’s students and the Hudson County community by providing access to a quality learning environment and fostering student success. The next President will possess a track record of success as demonstrated by the following:
- Will be an experienced and successful transformation leader and administrator who is committed to effectively advocate for students’ access, success, and completion.
- Will be responsive to evolving workforce needs, as well as the need to invest in STEM programs, support liberal arts offerings, online education, and to develop other new and innovative programs.
- Will demonstrate the ability to develop and expand partnerships with K-12 educational institutions, colleges and universities, community organizations, and government, business and industry.
- Will be a visible, accessible and active member of the community who will reside within the County.
- Will be economically prudent, and provide sound fiscal and resource management while investing and valuing the contribution of all employees.
- Will have a demonstrated commitment to student success, equity and completion, and advocate for policies and practices that value diversity and inclusion.
- Will be an exceptional communicator and listener, and demonstrate integrity and honesty.
- Will be an experienced fundraiser who is adept at obtaining resources through private fundraising, entrepreneurial activities, and grants.
- Will be an educator with significant accreditation experience.
- Will be experienced in working and negotiating with organized labor.
The next HCCC President will possess:
- Understanding of, and passion for, the comprehensive community college mission;
- Knowledge of and experience with transfer, career, technical, and developmental education, as well as workforce development;
- Experience showing support of innovation and high standards of excellence;
- Knowledge of and experience in implementing current technology in educational institutions;
- Appreciation of the expertise and contributions of faculty and staff that is supportive of their professional development;
- Success with collegial collaborations and participatory leadership;
- Reputation for ethical behavior; and
- Willingness to reside in Hudson County.
The qualifications that must be met to be considered for this position and to continue in this position include:
- A doctoral degree from a regionally accredited university.
- Prior administrative experience with management responsibilities comparable to those described for this position.
- Significant academic leadership experience in higher education (community college experience preferred).
How to Apply:
All inquiries, nominations and expressions of interest are confidential and are to be directed to Narcisa A. Polonio, Hudson Presidential Search Consultant.
To ensure full consideration, application materials should be received no later than February 28, 2018. The position is open until filled.
To apply, go to http://www.acctsearches.org and upload your documents. Candidates will follow the prompts given while completing the application form. Candidates will need to have the following information or materials available to complete the application:
- A completed Candidate summary sheet; which can be found at the top of the application page after clicking the “Apply Here” link.
- A letter of application (not to exceed 5 pages) that succinctly addresses the Position Profile and demonstrates how the candidate’s experience and professional qualifications prepare them to serve as President of Hudson County Community College.
- A current resume including an email address and cellular telephone number.
- A list of eight references: two supervisors, two direct reports and individuals from current or former institutions or organizations including faculty, staff, and students.
- Candidates must combine their candidate summary sheet, cover letter, and resume into a single PDF file in order to upload their materials. Candidates will be asked to submit their reference list separately.
For additional information, nominations, or confidential inquiries, please contact:
Narcisa A. Polonio, Ed.D., firstname.lastname@example.org, 202.276.1983.
For technical assistance with uploading documents, please contact:
Mia Settle, Board Services Associate, email@example.com, 202.470.4191.