This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Phillips Exeter AcademyLocation: Exeter, NH 03833 Document ID: AB126-5DDV Posted on: 2017-04-0304/03/2017 Job Type: Regular
Director of Human Resources
Phillips Exeter Academy, a co-educational residential school serving students in grades 9 through 12, and post-graduate level, was founded in 1781 by John Phillips. Exeter has a tradition of academic excellence, a distinguished faculty, and a long history of educating young people to find their place in the world. The 671-acre campus with academic and residential buildings, a 309,432 volume library, playing fields and green lawns is located in Exeter, a southern New Hampshire town which retains its 18th-century New England charm. The Academy enrolls more than 1000 students from around the world. Exeter offers a rich curriculum with over 400 courses taught by 210 faculty in eighteen academic departments. The Academy employs approximately 425 staff who support the living, learning and teaching environment of a diverse student body. The Academy's longstanding commitment to excellence has made the school one of the finest in the country. To learn more about Phillips Exeter Academy, visit http://www.exeter.edu/.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Director of Human Resources is responsible for the overall strategic direction of the HR department, and developing HR policies and programs for faculty, administrators and staff. The Director is the lead strategic Human Resources advisor to leadership, and is responsible for building and maintaining a high-performing Human Resources program.
The Director of Human Resources develops strategies to recruit, develop, motivate, assess and retain top talent who enable Exeter to pursue its mission. Major areas of responsibility include administrator and staff recruitment, compensation and benefits, organizational development, employee relations, employee and pay policies and employment law. Additionally, the HR Director serves in an advisory capacity for the Academy’s Principal and Trustees as a member of the Principal’s Staff.
The successful candidate must have a bachelor’s degree. Master’s with specialization in HR Management or OD helpful. PHR, SPHR, CCP or other certified HR designation desired.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 10+ years of related experience in an HR leadership and management capacity, preferably in an academic environment, creating an environment of professionalism and teamwork, and contributing positively to unit cohesiveness and morale.
- 10+ years of in-depth experience in managing employee relations issues.
- 10+ years of demonstrated experience working with and providing consultation to all levels of employees on strategic and tactical HR related issues and to work effectively in a complex environment.
- 5+ years of project management experience.
- Experience leading the workforce through a changing environment.
- Experience that demonstrates the highest personal levels of uncompromising integrity and honesty.
- Must possess a record of service that identifies concern for the safety and well-being of others.
- Proficiency in using and understanding HRIS products (Ellucian Colleague, Peoplesoft, PeopleAdmin, ADP, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Proven strong presentation skills and presence.
- Ability to plan, research, coordinate and supervise staff and projects within a complex organization.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills as well as a strong customer focus.
- Ability to prepare and effectively present both oral and written information concerning activities and operations to internal and external constituents.
- Knowledge of personnel management, supervision and staff training.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously.
- Strategic high-level thinking coupled with the attention to detail necessary for successful planning and execution.
- Proven excellent client support skills with demonstrated evidence of strong business acumen.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with teammates and clients by building trust and credibility.
- Ability to build and leverage effective relationships and influence decisions and behaviors through collaborating.
- Solid understanding of multiple HR disciplines, including ER, recruitment, training, OD, compensation and benefits.
- Proficiency in basic data management systems and basic computer applications (e.g., Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Proficiency in using and understanding HRIS products (Ellucian Colleague, Peoplesoft, PeopleAdmin, ADP, etc.).
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as needed.
- Ability and willingness to travel (by car, air, train or bus) domestically as needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusivity and to serving the needs of a diverse and inclusive community with diplomacy and tact.
Submit a cover letter and a current resume, as one document (pdf or MS Word format), to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line: Human Resources Director. The deadline for submission is April 30, 2017. The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a comprehensive pre-employment background check.
The Academy offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits (health, dental, 9-12% retirement contribution, vacation, free parking, meals & more) and a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and smoke-free workplace.
The Academy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, gender, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, genetic information, or physical or mental disabilities which do not prevent performance of essential job tasks.
The Academy is committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering an equitable, diverse and inclusive community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. Those who share this goal are encouraged to apply.
Due to the volume of responses received for job postings, we are unable to provide individual status updates. All applicants will receive electronic confirmation of application submission and final status. Only those applicants selected by the search committee will be contacted directly. We appreciate your understanding, cooperation and interest in employment at Phillips Exeter Academy.