This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Jackson State UniversityLocation: Jackson, MS 39217 Document ID: A7053-0EO1 Posted on: 02/06/2013 Job Type: Regular
Chair, Department of Computer Science
The Department of Computer Science at Jackson State University invites applications for the position of Chair starting July 1, 2013. Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field and an academic record of achievement in teaching and scholarship appropriate for appointment with tenure at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor.
The Chair is charged with providing vision and leadership in the academic and research programs of the department. As the administrative head, s/he represents the department to the university, working cooperatively with the Dean to advance interdisciplinary research and education, and to alumni and industrial partners to advance fund-raising and opportunities for both students and faculty.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, or related field, with all areas of specialization considered
- Administrative experience at the department level
- Appropriate record of scholarship and teaching suitable for appointment with tenure at the rank of Associate Professor or Professor
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and to lead collaboratively
- Demonstrated ability to oversee curriculum development and innovation
- A strong commitment to recruiting quality students into the undergraduate and graduate programs
- Demonstrated ability managing program assessment and accreditation
- Demonstrated success in attracting external funding
- Experience developing and teaching courses serving all areas of the university
- Commitment and demonstrated ability collaborating across department boundaries including those outside of the University
- Commitment and capability recruiting and hiring excellent new faculty members, and fostering faculty collegiality and development
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion in the building of academic community, in curriculum development, and in pedagogy.
- Ability to serve as an influential voice in academic deliberations in the College and the University
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the budget, including salary increases for faculty and non-union staff.
- Schedule courses and assign instructors.
- Facilitate professional development of staff and faculty, particularly pre-tenure faculty.
- Make recommendations to the dean concerning the promotion, tenure, and reappointment of faculty.
- Engage in external fundraising among alumni and friends of the department.
- Promote industrial partnerships to provide opportunities for student employment and faculty research.
- Work with faculty to attract a high quality and diverse student body at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Work with faculty to update and strengthen academic and research programs in their core disciplines, and topromote interdisciplinary research and academic programs.
The Department currently consists of 13 full-time faculty members andstrives to be responsive to the educational needs of its students, offering both B.S. (ABET accredited)and M.S.degrees. Its programs combine a very thorough preparation in the fundamentals of computing and related fields with the opportunity for more advanced work in Computer Science, Information Systems and Computational Science.The Department features state-of-the-art resources, including multimedia and high performance computers, and research labs for artificial intelligence, distributed systems, parallel processing and geographic information systems/remote sensing.
A dynamic faculty, a moderate teaching load, a strong graduate program, and a well-funded research program provide an excellent academic environment. In addition, cutting-edge research and education are nurtured through multiple interdisciplinary centers. Further information is available at the department website, http://www.jsums.edu/~sst/cset/computerscience.htm
Candidates interested in this position should send a letter of application; curriculum vitae; official transcripts from all academic institutions; and names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Dr. Willie G. Brown, Search Committee Chair
Department of Computer Science
College of Science, Engineering, and Technology
Jackson State University
1400 J. R. Lynch St., P. O. Box 18839
Jackson, MS 39217
Review of applications will begin on March 1, 2013. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Dr. Willie G. Brown.
Jackson State University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Jackson State University does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran/Reserve/National Guard status.
|More Jobs from Jackson State University|