This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Washington University in St. LouisLocation: Saint Louis, MO 63130 Document ID: AC235-57MM Posted on: 2018-06-1806/18/2018 Job Type: Regular
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Integrated Marketing
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Integrated Marketing & Brand Strategy
The Assistant Vice Chancellor for Integrated Marketing and Brand Strategy (AVC) plays a key leadership role within the Office of Public Affairs (Public Affairs). Public Affairs, as the university’s ultimate brand steward, has primary responsibility for ensuring that the university is appreciated as a world-class center of academic and research excellence. We also are responsible for engaging, inspiring and motivating key external and internal stakeholders who are essential to fulfilling the university’s mission (including: current students, faculty and staff; prospective students and their families; alumni; donors and other funders; opinion leaders in higher education and fields of our research; government and local community leaders; top-tier editors, commentators and others who report on topics of interest). The AVC plays a critical role in many aspects of our work and is a hands-on, senior contributor to our success.
Along with our senior creative director, the AVC directly oversees an exceptionally talented group of creative, editorial and multimedia staff. In addition to direct management responsibilities, the AVC regularly builds cross-functional, integrated teams to carry out our work. More at: publicaffairs.wustl.edu.
The AVC is a close partner to the Vice Chancellor for Public Affairs and is a member of the Public Affairs senior leadership team. In that way, the AVC plays a substantial role in the development and execution of strategic plans, nurturing collaboration, prioritization of workflow, distribution of resources and recruitment of talent.
Finally, the AVC serves as a key ambassador for Public Affairs in engaging with schools, programs and other functions throughout the university enterprise. The AVC often is called upon for strategic counsel regarding brand positioning and adherence, major communications campaigns (especially around key university milestones and/or initiatives), and other opportunities to showcase the university’s work and impact. The AVC is an extremely important leader in efforts underway to modernize, energize and personalize student recruitment and all of the touch points that impact it.
- Direct the activities of staff within the creative and marketing team, with strong support from our senior creative director. Provide strategic leadership, set priorities, mentor and professionally develop, define roles and responsibilities, and recruit talent. Contribute to the consideration of other positions within Public Affairs and the hiring of staff, particularly those who contribute to and help move forward integrated marketing efforts.
- Oversee efforts to promote the university and articulate our core brand essence, especially via channels we manage through Public Affairs and through our storytelling. Challenge us to find new ways to generate “buzz” and energy about WashU – including what makes us so special, the impact of our work and the accomplishments of members of our community (students, faculty, staff and alumni). Contribute expertise to content and creative development, especially copywriting.
- Drive internal awareness of the university’s brand position and inspire our own university community to live it, every day. Along with our senior creative director, ensure a consistent and clear presentation of the university brand.
- Against established benchmarks and through new research efforts, regularly assess the university’s brand position and recommend, manage and execute efforts to continually strengthen it. Test and evaluate the effectiveness of the university’s brand strategy and the effectiveness of recruitment efforts aligned with it. Recommend strategies for continually improving in these areas.
- Provide strategic counsel to Danforth Campus administrators, school leadership, communications staff, and others who play a role in promoting and presenting the university and attracting and connecting with key stakeholders who can determine our success in fulfilling the university’s mission.
- Serve as primary strategic liaison with two of the university’s most significant central functions: Alumni & Development (A&D) and Undergraduate Admissions (UA). Serve as a very close partner to leadership in these areas, oversee Public Affairs’ work in support of A&D and UA, and continually strive to improve outcomes.
- Serve as managing editor of Washington magazine, the university’s primary alumni publication (print and online) that reaches more than 150,000 alumni globally. In partnership with our senior creative director and staff involved in the day-to-day management of the magazine, help to develop editorial/storyline plans, creative presentation, and new opportunities to engage readers.
- Oversee annual budget allocations for the creative and marketing team and for Washington magazine; supervise expenditures and recommend ways to achieve budget efficiencies without compromising the quality of our work product. Direct the Public Affairs managed outsource program through which external partners (creative, digital, integrated communications, production, multimedia, etc.) are qualified, contracted and assigned work in support of select projects.
- Serve on university-wide committees as assigned.
- A high-level of energy and excitement to produce exceptional work with an amazing team.
- Demonstrated (at least five – 10 years) professional experience as a senior marketing and/or branding executive, with a track record of success in managing an integrated marketing/design team.
- Ability to plan and execute a sophisticated, integrated and multi-platform brand strategy and bring it to life. Expertise in inspiring new and creative ways to connect with and motivate stakeholders in a brand-authentic way. Experience with online, print, multimedia, and social media creative production.
- A passion for collaborating with members of a creative team and others within a complex, expansive enterprise. Ability to work extremely well with others.
- Leadership skills including influence, staff development, planning, measuring, reporting and team-building.
- Familiarity with vetting, scoping and engaging creative services/digital/multimedia external partners.
- A clear commitment to the highest professional standards.
- Undergraduate degree required, graduate degree preferred.
- Experience within a strategic communications or PR firm, or a corporate or institutional setting.
- Familiarity with higher education trends and administration.
- Familiarity with student recruitment, and friend- and fund-raising strategies.
- Experience overseeing production of a high-end, high-profile magazine.
Contact Nancy Donohoo for more information at email@example.com