Assistant Professor (Tenure Track)
Department of Criminal Justice & Sociology
College of Health and Human Services
The successful candidate will teach sociology and criminology-related courses, assist with curriculum development, and engage in assessment and research. The candidate will teach the equivalent of a 12 hour course load per semester and participate in committee work, public service, and professional organizations.
- Ph.D. or ABD (Ph.D. by August 2015) in sociology, criminology or criminal justice. (Degree must be from a regionally accredited or internationally accredited/government certified university)
- Experience or knowledge of teaching introductory courses in sociology, social problems, criminology, deviance and criminal justice courses
- Familiarity teaching courses through distance learning
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching, scholarship and service consistent with the teacher-scholar model
- Evidence of involvement in professional organizations
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to collegiality when interacting with others within the University community
- Demonstrated commitment to working with multicultural populations and an awareness of issues affecting women and minorities
As a public regional university (with a graduate mission), Southeast seeks candidates with a commitment to excellent undergraduate (and graduate) education and student success within the framework of the teacher-scholar model. Applications of instructional technology and pedagogical research are supported through the Center for Scholarship in Teaching and Learning and the Office of Online Learning. Successful candidates will contribute to the development of innovative curricula and delivery strategies, including traditional, blended and online formats, and participate in initiatives promoting student success, retention and degree completion.
Application Deadline: The position is available August 2015 and will remain open until filled. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by October 10, 2014.
Required Information: To apply, submit the following items online by clicking on the position you wish to apply for at the below link, then click on the APPLY button at the top of the page: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/semoedu/default.cfm?promotionaljobs=1
- Letter of interest addressing position qualifications and how you learned of this position
- Current curriculum vitae
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official transcripts required for employment)
- Names and contact information for three professional references
University Facts: Southeast Missouri State University is a comprehensive regional state university with seven colleges and schools, 11,500 students, and a faculty and staff of over 1,100. Southeast, a moderately selective institution, offers baccalaureate, masters and specialist degrees, and participates in joint doctoral programs with the University of Missouri. Cape Girardeau, a historic city overlooking the Mississippi River, is the hub of a thriving county with a population of approximately 71,000. Serving a region of more than 500,000 people, it is the largest center for retail, medical, manufacturing, communications, and cultural activities between St. Louis and Memphis.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER