This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
University of Michigan- Ann ArborLocation: Ann Arbor, MI 48109 Document ID: AC226-5CG1 Posted on: 2018-06-1406/14/2018 Job Type: Regular
Minimum Education: Not Specified2018-08-13
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume/CV. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experiences that relate directly to this position.
The University of Michigan seeks a highly qualified Director of its Center for Educational Outreach. The Center supports U-M faculty, staff, and student organizations in their educational outreach efforts to K-14 schools, and works to coordinate, synthesize, cross-fertilize, and strengthen partnerships between the University, schools, and college access organizations in Michigan. The Center promotes collaboration among academic and administrative units, fostering the development of new community outreach initiatives, leveraging existing partnerships, and administering outreach and engagement programs of its own.
Since its inception, CEO has informed, engaged, and inspired youth across the state to pursue postsecondary education, primarily by administering outreach and engagement programs to youth and families and building strong, mutually beneficial relationships with K-14 schools and communities. Today, CEO utilizes its expertise to serve as the hub for the University of Michigan’s educational outreach.
CEO is currently building a digital infrastructure to support outreach, which includes Youth Hub and digitizing the Children on Campus form process. In addition to offering its own educational outreach programs including the Michigan College Advising Corps and customized campus visits for underserved schools. CEO aims to expand the University of Michigan’s impact in educational outreach by strengthening collaboration and coordination between the U-M community and K-14 schools/communities and building capacity for U-M faculty, staff, and student groups to develop and implement their own outreach programs and initiatives. CEO is doing this through one-on-one consulting across U-M and training workshops. As well as, by building communities of practice that include the University Outreach Council and Faculty Forum for Outreach and Engagement. CEO provides statewide leadership for the annual Michigan Pre-College and Youth Outreach Conference.
The Director is responsible for strategic leadership of the Center, including program development and implementation, fiscal management, staff recruitment, training and supervision, external relations, partnership development, and collaboration with university faculty and staff.
- Provides strategic leadership, direction and oversight related to academic outreach and engagement and defines the Center’s vision, mission, goals and priorities
- Promotes collaboration between faculty, staff, and students, and K-14 stakeholders, both on and off campus, by nurturing existing relationships and establishing new ones
- Serves as liaison to UM schools/colleges and departments as appropriate
- Consults and advises faculty, staff and student organizations on educational outreach efforts and endeavors to connect with available funding sources
- Encourages the development of a college-going culture in schools
- Cultivates positive relationships with external constituencies, including school personnel, community based organizations and UM alumni, among others
- Guides planning of regional and national conferences
- Monitors and evaluates progress towards Center goals and objectives
- Develops and implements Center policies and procedures
- Guides Center communications, including website, newsletters, reports, etc.
- Provides functional supervision to Center staff
- Oversees budget development and management for the Center
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. or the equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated ability to relate to a wide range of people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Understanding of contemporary issues related to college access and success and a deep commitment to promoting educational equity for all students, particularly those that have been traditionally marginalized from higher education opportunities
- Demonstrated administrative / leadership experience, including change management, staff supervision, budgeting, expense management, and grant writing and management
- Ability to exercise a high-level of initiative, discretion and judgment
- A proven track record of acting with integrity
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication, including formal presentations
- At least 5 years university administrative experience
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively with university faculty and staff, K-14 schools and youth-serving community organizations
- Demonstrated experience in successfully building and administering outreach, college readiness or similar programs
- Familiarity with University of Michigan policies and procedures
- Experience with successful navigation of a large, complex academic environment
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.