Bates is one of the nation’s leading liberal arts colleges, with a long history of commitments to principles of human dignity and diversity.
Since its founding by abolitionists in 1855, Bates has welcomed men and women from diverse racial, ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds. Bates was the first co-educational college in New England, and some of its earliest students were former slaves. The college continues to live that promise of inclusiveness.
Bates offers a rigorous and highly personalized education that centers on deep and sustained interactions among students, faculty, and community. Bates engages the forces — intellectual trends, demographic changes, and technology — that are transforming higher education and the world into which our students graduate.
Bates has highly competitive admission, graduates over 90% of its entering students, and over half of its alumni earn graduate degrees. Bates has 1,700 students, 200 faculty members and 550 staff and administrative employees.
The college is proud of it deep roots in the Lewiston/Auburn community, Maine’s second largest urban area, with a population of approximately 65,000. Bates is located on a beautiful, 109-acre, traditional New England campus in Lewiston, a small city with an entrepreneurial climate, a lively arts scene, and a dynamic business community. Bates is 35 miles north of Portland, 140 miles north of Boston, and 350 miles north of New York City.
The Systems Development and Integration team is responsible for the installation, development and upkeep of the administrative and academic systems of Bates College. The Systems Analyst will be responsible for the analysis, design, implementation and maintenance of systems that support the needs of the College. The position will focus on the College’s web infrastructure and deployment of commercial, open-source and Bates developed applications. The Systems Analyst will have the opportunity to have a significant influence on process improvements as part of our tight-knit team that includes programmers, DBAs, web developers/designers.
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, management information systems, a related field, or equivalent experience.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 4+ years of experience in application software support, including programming experience utilizing SQL and related SQL tools.
- 4+ years of experience deploying and administering within Microsoft Windows Server and Linux environments.
- Experience in DevOps principles, practices and tools.
- Experience with networking protocols and diagnostic tools.
- Experience developing and administering solutions built in WordPress.
- Familiar with multi-server architectures.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with end users to gather and refine requirements and resolve issues.
Bates College offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits (health, dental, 9% retirement contribution with potential for an additional 3% match, 24 days of vacation, 12 paid holidays, dependent care subsidy, free parking, access to library and athletic facilities & more) and a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and smoke-free workplace.