This job posting is no longer active on Diverse Jobs and therefore cannot accept online applications.
This posting cannot receive an online application from your Diverse Jobs account. To apply, follow the employer's instructions within their job description.
Bates CollegeLocation: Lewiston, ME 04240 Document ID: AB292-57YK Posted on: 2017-07-2607/26/2017 Job Type: Regular
Bates is one of the nation’s leading liberal arts colleges, with a long history of commitments to principles of human dignity and diversity.
Since its founding by abolitionists in 1855, Bates has welcomed men and women from diverse racial, ethnic, religious, and economic backgrounds. Bates was the first co-educational college in New England, and some of its earliest students were former slaves. The college continues to live that promise of inclusiveness.
Bates offers a rigorous and highly personalized education that centers on deep and sustained interactions among students, faculty, and community. Bates engages the forces — intellectual trends, demographic changes, and technology — that are transforming higher education and the world into which our students graduate.
Bates has highly competitive admission, graduates over 90% of its entering students, and over half of its alumni earn graduate degrees. Bates has 1,700 students, 200 faculty members and 550 staff and administrative employees.
The college is proud of it deep roots in the Lewiston/Auburn community, Maine’s second largest urban area, with a population of approximately 65,000. Bates is located on a beautiful, 109-acre, traditional New England campus in Lewiston, a small city with an entrepreneurial climate, a lively arts scene, and a dynamic business community. Bates is 35 miles north of Portland, 140 miles north of Boston, and 350 miles north of New York City.
Work as a member of the college’s award winning design team to provide cross-platform designs to be represented visually in a variety of digital mediums and on a wide range of screens. The Digital Designer creates and produces engaging, high-level concepts of how the Bates brand is experienced across platforms, including web, email, social media, and mobile applications.
The Digital Designer is a member of a creative team and works on projects that advance the key messages of the college, proposing new ideas and demonstrating available technology to colleagues and campus partners. This front-end design position requires a passion for innovative design; knowledge of a wide variety of communication techniques, technical tools, and emerging best practices; as well as excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. It reports to the Director of Design Services in the Bates Communications Office.
The successful candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in graphic and digital arts or a related field.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 3-5 years of experience in digital design.
- Experience in higher education desired.
- Experience with print and web software, tools, and processes.
- Knowledge of advanced web design practices, including navigation, information architecture, and usability, as well as quality assurance testing processes.
- Awareness of web industry standard best practices and emerging trends, including responsive/mobile first web design.
- Core technical skills:
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Proficient in digital asset management
- Motion graphics skill, animation
- Web content management
- Full understanding of concepts and principles of visual communication, typography, brand identity and management, and strong grasp of marketing principles.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a professional studio environment with director, designers, web developers, photographers, editors, and writers, and to develop strong working relationships with on-campus partners.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with end users to gather and refine requirements and resolve issues.
Bates College offers competitive salaries, excellent benefits (health, dental, 9% retirement contribution with potential for an additional 3% match, 22 days of vacation, 12 paid holidays, dependent care subsidy, free parking, access to library and athletic facilities & more) and a supportive, collegial environment in a drug- and smoke-free workplace.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, portfolio and contact information for three professional references. Review of applications begins immediately and willl continue until the position is filled.
Bates College is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and providing an educational and work environment free from discrimination. The college prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status and other legally protected statuses in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the administration of its education policies and programs, or in the recruitment of its faculty and staff. Bates College adheres to all applicable state and federal equal opportunity laws and regulations. All college faculty, staff, students, contractors, visitors, and volunteers are responsible for understanding and complying with the Non-Discrimination Policy.
Inquiries concerning the college’s policies, compliance with applicable laws, statutes, and regulations (such as Title VII, Title IX, and ADA/Section 504), and complaints may be directed to Gwen Lexow, Title IX Officer, 207-786-6445 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.