Elgin Community CollegeLocation: Elgin, IL 60123 Document ID: AC392-0GD5 Posted on: 2018-10-1910/19/2018 Job Type: Regular
Academic Advisor & Retention Specialist - Health Professions
To plan, develop and deliver comprehensive advising and academic support to pre-health and health professions students. Continually assess and innovate services to achieve goals. Effectively manage the integration and delivery of HP advising and retention services across three areas ? Student Success /Spartan Alert, Academic & Transfer Advising, and Health Professions. Ensure compliance with all associated policies, rules and regulations. Utilize appropriate student development theory and personal development practices.
Assist the Associate Dean, in conjunction with other Offices, with the development, coordination, implementation and marketing of a comprehensive student support system from admissions to completion by focusing on increasing retention rates, course completion rates, graduation and/or transfer to either a college/university, or entering the workforce.
1. Provide academic and transfer advising to new, continuing and returning pre-health and Health Professions students.
2. Establish an educational plan for each student in assigned caseload utilizing all available modalities to contact, advise, assist, and monitor assigned students in successful completion of program requirements.
3. Work in partnership with the Director of Student Success and Judicial Affairs, Associate Dean of Advising and Associate Dean of Health Professions in establishing retention goals, and operationalizing goals and objectives ensuring the seamless flow of work and services.
4. Provide academic support services including teaching students to utilize the technology to self-serve.
5. Refer students to appropriate campus resources, including but not limited to Wellness , Disability, TRIO, Tutoring and Career Development for additional assistance; make referrals to external agencies such as the Student Assistance Program and social service agencies when appropriate and assist with locating other referral sources as needed
6. Collaborate with Health Professions Program Dean/Directors/Faculty and others in the college to develop and facilitate comprehensive student retention activities and services including presenting workshops on time management, learning styles, stress management, how to read a textbook, note taking, resume writing, interviewing and licensure exam preparation.
7. Conduct and present Health Professions program orientation sessions, information sessions, information fairs, and other group experiences.
8. Assist the Associate Dean of Advising and Associate Dean of Health Professions with the development, coordination and implementation of a comprehensive student support system from admissions to completion by facilitating relevant workshops and participating in college events and initiatives that focus on increasing retention rates, course completion rates, graduation and/or transfer to either a college/university or entering the workforce.
9. Participates in professional activities including NACADA (National Academic Advising Association), ILAAA (Illinois Academic Advising Association), IACAC (Illinois Association for College Admission Counseling), and other professional organizations which encourages continuous professional growth and development as an Advisor.
10. Participate in all appropriate meetings and on various Health Professions Program Advisory Committees
11. Provide academic advising services to the general student population as requested.
Essential Responsibilities Continued:
1. Perform other duties as assigned which pertain to the job description.
2. Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
Does Not Supervise
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
1. Master's degree (MA) required with applicable coursework in Higher Education/Student Affairs, Counseling, Human Relations, Psychology, Social Services, Human Services, College Student Personnel or related field.
2. One year of full-time advising and case management experience in an advising center.
3. Three years of experience in a higher education environment.
4. Knowledge and competence in the application of student development theory including influences of culture, gender, class, environment, and age.
5. Knowledge and competence in the application of student development theory including influences of culture, gender, class, environment, and age.
6. Advising skills, including the ability, knowledge, and forward thinking to determine when a student requires additional professional help.
7. Strong oral and written communication skills, computer skills (Microsoft Office).
8. Ability to develop and conduct group presentations on a variety of student success-related topics for a variety of student audiences.
9. Experience working with multiple college departments and community services. Ability to develop effective working relationships with faculty, administration, staff, and students from diverse backgrounds.
10. Must be able to maintain documentation for case management and collect and analyze data and develop reports to demonstrate effectiveness of student and
program retention interventions.
11. Familiarity with higher education student persistence and retention interventions and strategies.
12. Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes days/evenings/weekends as needed by the department.
1. Academic advising in a health profession related field preferred.
2. Experience in a Community college preferred.
3. Leadership experience preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Elgin Community College Support Staff of Elgin Community College Association (SSECCA) members that apply by 10/8/2018 and meet the posted minimum qualifications will receive full consideration.
This position is open until filled. This employment site is updated on a regular basis. The length of the recruitment and screening process may vary from position to position, depending upon a variety of factors. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted by phone or email.
Please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions document for information related to the ECC Hiring Process and Applicant Tracking System.
Materials Required to Complete the Application Process for this Position:
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
To apply please click here!