Oakton Community CollegeLocation: Des Plaines, IL 60016 Document ID: AC091-31NU Posted on: 2019-05-2705/27/2019 Job Type: Part-time
For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
The Learning Center recruits professional tutors year-round to create a schedule of offerings for fall, spring, and summer terms at the Des Plaines and Skokie campuses of Oakton Community College. Hours of operation during the semester are typically Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. through 8 p.m.; Fridays, 8:00 a.m. through 5:00 p.m; and Saturdays, from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Several classroom tutoring sessions begin as early as 8:00 am and some class tutoring sessions run from 6:00 pm through 9:50 p.m. Tutors may be needed to provide assistance in a variety of subjects, disciplines, and/or courses. Typical areas of need usually include the following:
General and engineering-based physics
Developmental mathematics tutoring in a classroom setting
Applicants who can tutor multiple subject areas are highly desired
- Accounting tutors: Master's degree in accounting required or equivalent experience. Mastery of college level Intermediate Accounting I & II, Cost Accounting, tax, and QuickBooks required.
- Chemistry tutors: 45+ earned college credits, with completed coursework up to college-level inorganic and/or organic chemistry.
- Developmental mathematics tutors: 45+ earned college credits, with completed coursework in college-level algebra and geometry. Education and/or special education background desirable. Experience with online learning software such as Pearson's MyMathLab desired.
- Mathematics tutors: 45+ earned college credits, with completed coursework up to and including Calculus II, II, and III. Ordinary Differential Equations expertise a plus. Statistics and/or Probability courses desirable. Experience with online learning software such as Pearson's MyMathLab desired.
- Physics tutors: 45+ earned college credits, with completed coursework up to and including college-level and engineering (Calculus) based physics.
- Writing tutors: Master's degree in English required or equivalent experience teaching high school English classes. Minimum two years of experience working with community college students ranging from developmental English to college level English skills. ESL background or TESOL certification desirable.
- Experience working with students or adults of various learning levels a plus.
General Job Description:
- Provide tutor assistance for course work in approved subject(s) in a professional manner.
- Provide open lab, classroom, and/or appointment-based tutoring to Oakton students on a fair and equitable basis.
- Use constructivist strategies to assist students in overcoming content-specific and general learning strategies.
- Report behavioral issues and/or incidents of academic dishonesty to supervisor and/or instructor.
- Submit time sheets according to the established schedule.
- Maintain student tutoring records to help facilitate communication between Learning Center staff members and instructors.
- Maintain strict confidence about student-tutor sessions both during and after your employment with us. This is in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Assist in the marketing of Learning Center tutoring.
- Participate in tutor training and staff development meetings.
45+ earned college credits and/or an Associate's degree, $9.26/hr
Bachelor's degree, $14.26/hr
Master's degree, CPA, MFA, $19.26/hr
Applicants must submit the following:
- Cover letter addressing your area(s) of expertise and interest in tutoring, as well as your available work hours and campus of preference.
- Unofficial transcripts
- Current resume
- References and/or a letter of recommendation
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.
To apply please click here!