Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Coordinator, Veterans Success CenterDepartment:
Dean of Students (142000)College/Division:
Student AffairsSalary Range:
$3,935 - $5,595 per month. (Anticipated hiring range: $3,935 - $4,329 per month)Position Description:
Cal Poly is Currently Seeking a Veterans Success Center Coordinator!Minimum Qualifications (Staff Only):
Under the supervision of the Associate Dean of Students, the Veterans Success Center Coordinator assists in the day-to-day coordination and maintenance of the Veterans Success Center (VSC). This includes working with campus and community partners to ensure all veterans and dependents have access to all the benefits available to them. The Coordinator is responsible for the design of events and/or services that focus on direct service to veterans, raising awareness of the needs of veterans, and advocating for veterans and dependents. The Coordinator directs programs and supervises undergraduate student staff. The Coordinator will provide training and assistance to University students, faculty, and staff on veteran and dependents issues. The incumbent will serve as a liaison to local area community college veterans affairs staff.
The Dean of Students Office (DOS) is committed to supporting the academic success of students by fostering the development of integrity and problem solving skills, teaching self-advocacy and personal responsibility, and helping students understand the fundamental principles of good citizenship and responsible leadership.
As part of the CSU system, Cal Poly offers a very generous benefits package, including the following:
Enrollment in CalPERS (Public Employee Retirement System)
Health, dental, and vision insurance at competitive rates or no cost to employee
Life insurance at no cost to employee
Program to allow employee or select family members to attend classes at any of the CSUs for reduced fees
Federal Loan Forgiveness Program
NOTE: More information regarding benefits is available through this link Benefits
NOTE: To view the full position description including all the Duties and Responsibilities click here
Bachelor's degree and two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field; OR a Master's degree and one year of experience.Required Qualifications:
1. General knowledge of the methods and problems of organizational and program management as well as research and interview techniques.Preferred Qualifications:
2. Ability to advise students individually and in groups on routine matters.
3. Knowledge of program assessment tools for conducting research and analysis of program educational outcomes and impact of programs.
4. Ability to obtain information through various tools and collect, compile, analyze and evaluate data.
5. Familiarity with evidence based research models for program evaluation.
6. Ability to maintain and update marketing materials for program outreach and enhancement.
7. Knowledge of, or ability to present to large and small groups on, topics concerning veterans.
8. Ability to provide lead work direction and supervise student staff.
9. Ability to coordinate large scale events.
10. Knowledge of marketing tools including but not limited to: coordinating master calendar, newsletter, and outreach to clubs, programs, and community organizations.
11. Ability to counsel, make referrals and provide advocacy.
12. Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing and to collaborate with campus and community partners.
13. Strong conflict resolution skills.
14. General knowledge of principles and individual and group behavior.
15. Ability to interpret, communicate and apply policies, procedures, program rules and regulations.
16. Ability to use initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and implement long-range program improvements.
17. Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism.
18. Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
19. Excellent communication skills including teaching skills, report writing skills and public presentation skills; ability to effectively communicate information in a clear and understandable manner, both verbally and in writing.
20. Excellent organizational and time management skills with the ability to set own priorities to coordinate multiple assignments with fluctuating and time-sensitive deadlines.
21. Excellent computer skills and proficiency with a variety of computer applications including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases, on-line systems, Internet as well as online calendaring and email.
22. Working knowledge of or ability to quickly learn University infrastructure, policies and procedures
Knowledge and experience related to veterans and dependent issues. Specific knowledge of VA and state specific benefits and services.Special Conditions:
Demonstrated skills in an institutional/educational environment utilizing a customer-oriented and service-centered attitude.
Experience working with college students on developmental skills.
Experience with graphic communications and design.
***THIS POSITION IS OPEN UNTIL FILLED***Review Begin Date:
Must be able to work overtime, occasional holidays, and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed.
Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the Executive Order 1083 requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
This position classification has been defined as "Exempt" and is not subject to the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Retired CalPERS members selected for this vacancy must request and be approved for reinstatement from retirement prior to the start date. Employment of retired CalPERS members will typically be for 90 days or less and must be for work requiring specialized skills or for a bona fide emergency to prevent stoppage of business.
May be required to complete a Supplemental Employment Application Questionnaire, which contains questions pertaining to conviction history, and submit it when requested by Cal Poly. This disclosure is confidential and will not necessarily preclude applicants from employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Please note: Current employees who are offered positions on campus will be required to undergo a background check for any position where a background check is required by law or that Cal Poly has designated as sensitive. Sensitive positions are those requiring heightened scrutiny of individuals holding the position based on potential for harm to children, concerns for the safety and security of people, animals, or property, or heightened risk of financial loss to Cal Poly or individuals in the university community.
For health and wellbeing, Cal Poly is a smoke & tobacco-free campus. The university is committed to promoting a healthy environment for all members of our community.
All applicants must apply online at: https://www.calpolyjobs.org
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university. Founded in 1901, the 6,000-acre campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo, along California's scenic central coast and midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. With a budget of $168.5 million, the university has a student enrollment exceeding 17,000 students and employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff members. Cal Poly is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly's values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility.Cal Poly's commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency